22 teachers from Years 5-10 attended this after school meeting
What is working in my netbook class
From Survey responses:
- Children using google presentations as a way to present information. Year 5/6
- Children finding information about the RWC and our adopted country using a range of resources.
- A good work volume is consistent. Less reminding to bring the volume down. Year 5/6
- The students are motivated and engaged in their learning. Some of the students have got work on their blogs, in spite of issues we are currently experiencing. Year 5/6
- Children were able to complete writing samples on their netbooks and I felt they noticed punctuation errors more as their sentences made a lot more sense than the last sample. Year 5/6
- Started to use google forms to complete some learning follow up activities.At a glance you can see who has completed the questions and to mark them quickly. I found by having the spreadsheet up on the large screen helps when I using a Maths warm up activity , it like a race to complete within the 5 minutes. Year 7/8
- Independence and the ability to follow their own interests. Year 5/6
- Google presentations for sharing Guided Learning Inquiry. Year 5/6
- Developing our Class Site has given the kids greater ability to manage their own learning and kids having greater access to info. and learning about synthesis of info. Year 7/8
- Google Presentations - presenting information in the inquiry process, also allows the students to practise writing good sentences, helps with the sharing aspect.
- Motivation to write and the desire to do so.
- Using Google Site and having students referring to it regularly in collaboration with their Google docs
- Beginning to see more independent learning.
- Using Google docs for their AsTTle Writing - lesser able students seemed to write more and show more of their skills.
- Having the Google spreadsheet to use during maths.
- Using Google Forms
- Motivated, engaged and focus across subjects.
- Using the correct language - PDF, URL, embed, etc
- Hyperlinking of their work
- Students being able to do work on their work at home.
- Working with micro-groups and being able to use the same documents on their netbooks.
- Students showing patience and perseverance.
- Teacher Dashboard - having it on the projector so it is an open environment.
- Students helping other students when new students start.
What is not working in my netbook class
From Survey responses:
- Students playing games in learning time and interrupting their learning. Year 5/6
- Advanced searching google images...this has restricted pictures children are able to use for presentations. :( Year 5/6
- Students getting a bit too clever - removing history etc. Year 5/6
- Legalities of music and movies (clearly illegal) on the netbooks. Some kids are downloading at school too. Year 5/6
- Using online games
- Taking netbooks home and putting music and movies onto their netbooks - legality.
- Year 5 gradually showing responsibility
- Finding more advanced spreadsheet apps for Maths other than Google spreadsheet.
- Losing netbook bags and chargers.
- Broken netbooks making teachers have to double up paper and online work.
- Taking them home and changing their system settings.
- Students bringing the netbooks to school uncharged or forgetting them.
- Difficulties with connection.
- Inconsistency with some of the software on the netbooks.
- Increased rate in plagiarism - Gathering information
- Spell check - students trusting the spellchecker rather than understanding.